A generational shift in dieting has people taking the “strict” out of restricted for a compassionate approach to betterment.
In early 2023, Horizon’s WHY group and Multicultural practice collaborated to explore healthcare inequities in the US in The Path to Health. The report uncovered how individual identity, resources, and responsibilities impact well-being during the unprecedented change of recent years. Among these variables, race, ethnicity, and culture played a significant role in both systemic issues and individual advantages/disadvantages throughout the journey.
This follow-up report covers how the healthcare journey plays out specifically for the Hispanic/Latine population. We dive further into what in-culture, inclusive care looks like for this young, growing, and influential group and offer actionable, real-world solutions for the industry, both short- and long-term.
Hispanics have consistently encountered unique hurdles throughout their healthcare experiences, leading to deep-seated mistrust. The system, seemingly not built for them, has failed to demonstrate significant inclusivity efforts.
As America’s youngest and most rapidly expanding demographic, catering to Hispanics’ distinct needs presents a significant opportunity for healthcare providers. Thankfully, Hispanics are ready to embrace both sweeping and subtle industry changes that foster and retain their trust.
Here’s What They Need:
See Me and Recognize My Needs:
- Ensure representation in everything from provider hiring to marketing efforts.
- Enhance accessibility through extended hours, virtual/telehealth services, transportation and childcare support.
Be Upfront and Clear:
- Prioritize cost and coverage transparency before appointments.
Communicate with Me:
- Offer in-language, in-culture care; hire more Hispanic healthcare providers and offer teams cultural competency/implicit bias training.
- Harness the power of digital and mobile platforms to resonate specifically with this young, dynamic, and tech-forward demographic.
To read the full report, click ‘Download PDF’ below.